Domain authority is a measure of your website’s effectiveness in the search engines. A website with a high domain authority is often seen as credible, and more likely to appear in the top search results for industry-related terms.
Factors that Influence Domain Authority
Domain authority is influenced by a number of factors. In fact, there are actually over 40 factors influencing your site’s ranking, according to Moz. However, we’ve listed three very significant factors below:
- Age: The age of the website
- Popularity: How many people visit your website
- Links: Getting quality links back to your website from other sites with a high DA
How is Domain Authority Measured?
Domain authority is measured by a score of 0-100, with 100 being the most authoritative. Generally speaking, a DA score of 25 is good, while a score of 50 or more is excellent.
How to Increase Domain Authority
Increasing your DA score is not a simple task. In fact, it can take 10 weeks just to move up one rank. There are, however, some best practices you can take to improve your score over time.
- Write Incredible Content: Writing relevant, interesting content can help ensure you have the best opportunity to get links back to your website. Getting links from other credible sites with a high DA can in turn make your site look more credible to the search engines.
- Have an Internal Linking Strategy: Internal links help in a number of ways. They can direct users to other pages of your website they might find useful, and increase the amount of time users stay on the website. It’s important to link both to high traffic pages and low traffic pages to maximize conversions on your site.
- Replace Broken Links: User experience is very important on a website. You should repair any broken links as soon as possible and ensure you do not have 404 “Not Found” errors on your site. You are less likely to get links back to your site, or have users stay on the site longer (bettering the chance of a conversion) if you direct someone to a page that isn’t working.
- Check for Images: Use the reverse image lookup on Google to find other sites using your images. Instead of asking them to remove images from your site, see if they would be willing to link the image back to your site instead.
- Post as a Guest: Guest posting on sites like yours, especially with a high DA, can help establish credibility in the search engines and increase your SEO efforts.
These are just a few examples of how you can increase your DA and help drive traffic to your website. For more information on search engine marketing, contact us today and we will review your site at no charge!